Saturday 5 November 2011

Mountain Fashion

Alpe D'Huez - 2001
Another thing I love about being in a mountain resort is observing all the different people and the gear/clothes they wear whilst on the piste and apres-ski. 
I can still remember the first time I ever went skiing, I was 11, and sported my mum's 25 year old vintage orange all-in-one ski suit which incidentally had a massive 'A' (for Anne) stitched onto the right bum cheek, probably from where she'd fallen over so much! 
When I had grown out of that I followed the more modern trend and bought something a bit 'cooler' seeing as I was at that awkward teenage phase, so I moved onto red pants with a purple and white jacket. 
Cardrona (NZ) - 2004
Les Carroz - 2011
I find it interesting to compare the importance of labels when you're older and more fashion conscious, as it was something I seemed oblivious too when I was younger! Now I own matching black, white and grey pants and jacket by Nikita. Within the snowboarding world especially it's all about the good makes, like Burton, DC, Oakley, Volcom, Westbeach...the list goes on, and I am very aware of the vastness of these brands when I go to a resort and observe what people are wearing. Our world is full of advertising, and I sometimes wonder why? Most people everyday are completely unaware of the fact that they are a walking advertisement from simply buying and wearing a pair of Nike high tops or Levi jeans for example, even high street clothes. It is a vital way in which the word spreads and trends start. 
I remember last year it was all about the fluorescent colours and trying to be as bright as possible on the slopes, I thought that was an awesome look. I wonder what this season will bring, and how many people I'll count who will be wearing those funny hats with what looks like brightly coloured hair protruding out the top! 

No comments:

Post a Comment